Wednesday, September 21, 2011

First MWAG

My first MWAG (Man with a gun) since I started open carrying (from here on out in this blog, I will reference open carry with OC) just a few months ago. It was not, however, a police officer that came up to me.

I was in Wal-Mart with my wife, just running errands and picking up ammo and some biodegradable clay pigeons. I was OC as usual. I tried to get my wife to OC with me on the bases that if something should happen, it is better have someone there who can back you up, but she declined on the basis that her paddle holster has not shown up yet and she hates to wear a belt in order to carry.

Anyways, I was looking at video games when I noted out of the corner of my eye that a manager was coming towards me. Now, since I have yet to be hassled in Wal-Mart, I was just assuming that he was heading this way for something else. Instead, he stopped to the side of us and this is how the conversation went.

Manager: "Can I see your gun..."
I think he wants to see my gun and am just about to tell this guy off when he completes his sentence.
Manager: "err... permit?"
Me: "I don't need one."
Manager looks confused: "You don't need a...?
Me: "You don't need a permit to open carry."
Manager turns to walk away, but since he is still looking confused I keep going: "This city allows open carry and Wal-Mart goes by local ordnance in regards to carrying firearms. Now, you can ask me to leave.."
The manager breaks in: "Oh no, no no no."
Me: "... and I will have to accede to your request, but I will no longer do business here."
Manager: "No, you are fine."
Me: "Was there an issue then...?"
Manager: "There were a few people concerned..."
Me: "Well, it is not my duty to make others at ease. It is our legal right to open carry."
At this the manager just walks away, still looking perplexed as well as a bit beaten back.

Now, the manager wasn't even trying to make me leave. I have the distinct impression that the contact would have ended once he had seen my CCL (conceal carry license) if I had had one.

This is what gets me, how little people understand and know their legal, constitutional rights. There really needs to be a class on it at least at the high school level, but I would really prefer to see a class start in elementary school.

No comments:

Post a Comment