Wednesday, September 21, 2011

So, what will happen to these two cops?

In Atlanta, a police officer arrested a disabled woman who was sitting in a chair in front of her home waiting for an ice cream truck.
Walker said an Atlanta police officer approached her and told her to move. “He came right here and said we had to move, and I said ‘What reason do he have to move?’ ” Walker said. She said the officer told her, “Because I said so.” Walker claims she stood and told the officer she was going to call his supervisor.
“That’s when he grabbed me. My ice cream fell and my phone fell,” she said. Walker said that’s when the officer put her on the ground. Walker has photos of the incident. Walker said the officer sprained her shoulder in the process, and she had to be taken to Grady Memorial Hospital.
The charge was disorderly conduct. "In six months, 27 of the 38 arrests the officer made were for disorderly conduct."

And in Southwest Miami-Dade a police officer clobbered a man with Down Syndrome because he was suspicious of the bulge in the man's trousers.
Liko said, the officer smacked him in the face with an open hand and knocked him to the ground. "His whole hand," he said. According to the police report, a Miami-Dade Police officer noticed a bulge in Liko's waistband. The officer attempted to conduct a pat down, and Powell tried to run away. "I said, 'Didn't you know he was a Down's Syndrome kid?' And he said, 'No, I'm not a doctor. I don't know.' And I said, 'Well, you can see it in his face that he is a Down's Syndrome kid,'" said Powell's mother, Josephine.
The bulge that Liko had on his waistband was a colostomy bag.

My guess? Some time off and possibly sensitivity training. I can hope that we all can agree that these two cops are clearly bad cops. But where are the good cops coming out of the woodwork to speak to media about this? When will they demand that their superiors get off their asses and do something real to the cops that do such things? I have been told time and time again that there are good cops and that there are bad cops, but I have to wonder. If you commit a crime and I watched and did nothing, I could be accused and tried for being an accessory to it. But why is it a crime for everyone except cops?

I know, I know, hyperbole much? It isnt just cops who have this situation where noone rats out one another even though it is against the law that they are sworn to uphold, priests do it, government officials do it, many other people do it though they are for the most part the types of people who have power. However, priests and senators are not sworn to uphold the law (senators are only sworn to uphold the Constitution, though I feel that the majority of them are clearly doing the exact opposite).

As Robert Heinlein said
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
No one should have to follow a bad law, and police officers should not have to uphold bad laws. I know that getting a paycheck is important, but isn't it more important that you like yourself at the end of the day? In the course of my job, there have been times that I have been asked to bend the truth in regards to a few things. I have never done so. I will never lie for someone else, even if it costs me my job. I should only hope that officers feel the same way.

P.S. Let me state that I have an uncle on my wife's side that is a cop and one on my father's side that was involved with the police for many years (cant remember what he was exactly). I believe that these two men are fine, upstanding citizens and are fine, upstanding officers. I also believe that they would be the first to report and arrest any corruption of the ilk illustrated in the above two stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment