Thursday, September 22, 2011

Personal rights.....taken for granted too often.

This is something I touched on in yesterday's post and is something that my wife and I talked about at length on our way home from the Wal-Mart.

How many people can you think of that could care less about the preservation of their rights? From the stereotypical thug yelling about the "5th" to the average joe who knows nothing about his 2A rights until someone breaks into his house.

I believe that people only want their rights when they need them. I've been in a lot of discussions about the American form of government lately and the conclusion that I've drawn is people only want a "democracy or republic" when things aren't going their way. If a monarchy offered the benefits or better than our society, would the population be exploding with unrest? No. They'd be sitting around eating Cheetos in their underwear.

Do we only care about our freedoms when they're in jeopardy? Are we only thankful when the times are tough? Why? It's a little unnerving at times. How many people would trade a system of checks and balances for free cable t.v. and no rent?

I think a large number of people would willingly give up their rights in order to get something out of it, especially cash. I honestly believe that the average person out there would willingly give up their freedom in order to get something in return, live free rent.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment